Constant's pations

If it's more than 30 minutes old, it's not news. It's a blog.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Dressing, and The Occaision

[Title should read: "Occasion", remove the first "i" ]

KC observes the times have changed and people don't necessarily dress up for every day events as if they were an occasion.

What are your thoughts?

* * *


The Wonderful Katie Couric,

Every broadcast you take the time to dress for the occasion -- thank you. I agree with you that clothes have changed and people are not necessarily looking at events as "occasions" to dress for.

KC: Are those days gone?

Constant: No, some of us still dress up for weddings; and when I attend a function. For example, Ellie may spend her time flat ironing her hair – that’s quite attentive to the occasion. [See Reader’s Digest, Feb 2007, page 111; rd.com/couric ]

I don't wear clothes to "make the occasion"; I do what I want and dress how I want; if that's not acceptable, then I don't interact with those people. Their loss. The opposing team might like me buying their hot dogs.

Our appearance and presentation isn’t just clothes, but how we carry ourselves; our insight; the shoes we wear, how we hold our hair, the kind of skin lotion we use, and the gadgets we carry are not necessarily clothes. I can wear shabby jeans and a pair of really nice shoes and feel like I've overdressed, especially with some athletic gear. Gadgets alone send a signal: “I care enough about you to show you I have the very best technology, even though we’re just watching taxis at JFK.”

I'm glad to hear, "I tell my daughters not to judge a book by its cover." Indeed, some shabby book covers protect great wisdom.

"no one wants to look shabby, dog-eared...and ready for the remainder bin." -- If this is a true statement [that "no one" wants to look shabby] -- does that mean if you met someone who didn't care whether they looked shabby or dog eared that this would be something worth celebrating or ignoring?

I do not agree with, "how we dress says something about how we see ourselves -- and how we want OTHERS to see us." Sometimes clothes are just clothes, and I have other things I'd rather think about. Whether someone views me in a certain way because of how I look -- that's their loss.

It depends on who's looking in the mirror; and whether someone is bold enough to deliberately look shabby despite knowing they have alot to offer. Einstein didn't do many turns on the catwalk.